Tuesday, 23 January 2018
After giving birth, a woman’s body usually undergoes several changes. As the uterus reduces in size, some mothers may experience pain due to contractions. Getting enough sleep, eating nutritious meals, drinking enough fluids and getting support from loved ones are some of the things that can help the body to heal. With enough physical activity and proper nutrition, some mothers are able to heal within 6 months of giving birth.
However, changes in body physique, hormone levels, and sleeping patterns may interfere with the woman’s mood. One of the most common signs of this is depression. While this can start 6 months after giving birth, it can last for up to 1 year. Some of the symptoms that woman may experience include having negative thoughts, feeling hopeless and sad, lack of sleep, loss of appetite, crying without a reason, and lack of interest in life. Taking care of body after giving birth is, therefore, very important. Here are the top 10 confinement rules in Singapore.
· Drink lots of water- Before looking at me and saying that you already know about this, allow me to explain why it’s important to drink lots of water. Drinking lots of water will not only help you flash out toxins but also assist in the digestion and elimination of unwanted stuff from your body. In addition, water will generally facilitate the production of milk.
· Avoid consuming cold drinks or tea- As a new mother, try and avoid consuming cold tea or drinks. But why is it important? Well, tea and ice are usually considered cold meals hence drinking them immediately after giving birth may have long-term effects. More so, by avoiding cold tea and ice you will experience an amazing reduction in weight.
· Build up on your nutrition- By building up on your nutrition, you will regain your strength and be able to provide the baby with all the necessities that he needs for breastfeeding. According to studies, good meals coupled with a good support from loved ones will help prevent your mood swings and decrease your postpartum depression. Taking care of your diet is, therefore, one of the things to do during confinement period. This is very important in taking care of body after giving birth.
· Make sure you have enough rest- Giving birth usually affects most of your hormones and thus leave you tired and exhausted. When it comes to taking care of body after giving birth, there is nothing like too much rest. As a new mother, you need to master the art of napping. This will be very important especially when you need to wake up at night to take care of your baby.
· Get a postnatal massage- During postpartum confinement, consider doing a postnatal home massage for your body and mind relaxation especially after the emotional and the physical toils of labor and pregnancy. Postnatal massage is important for normal delivery, premature delivery, and C-section delivery. The massage sessions include unclogging the blocked milk ducts, massage of the breasts, and general body massage. If you want to see the effectiveness of a massage, try and do a minimum of 5 massages. However, in case of a C section delivery, the start date will depend on whether the mother has healed or not.
· Avoid workouts- For the first 40 days, even if you feel that you are strong enough, avoid doing workouts. Since you have just given birth, your body is not ready for any kind of workouts. You, therefore, need to wait for several weeks before you can get into workout moods. Although most women are usually active within 2 weeks after giving birth, they better start by doing low impact activities. Around this time, one of the best things to do is to engage in yoga activities.
· Get extra help- During the confinement period, avoid doing any job or house chores that can tire you. It’s, therefore, important to look for the option of engaging a nanny as this will help ease the kind of work that you are supposed to do. Remember, as a new mother you still need some time to fully get prepared for your new role. The nanny will, therefore, help you with feeding the baby and taking care of you as well. By engaging them you can have a good rest and heal quickly. For the first 100 days, try and avoid doing any straining work.
· Maintain a proper hygiene- As a mother, you also need to be very careful about your hygiene. Good hygiene will not only help you ease the pain but also provide you with the comfort that you need. During the first stages, your body will be vulnerable and undergo a number of changes. While giving birth is one of the best moments of your life, it can also be very frustrating. If you want to keep yourself and the baby healthy, consider practicing good hygiene. You need to maintain cleanliness and follow all the postpartum hygiene tips.
· Avoid sex- Since you’ve just given birth, your muscles are still probably very painful. It’s, therefore, advisable to only resume sexual intercourse after carrying out postnatal checkup. While your hormones may be going haywire, try to avoid sex for at least 6 weeks. This will help you heal faster so that you can get back to your normal self.
· Get a confinement herbal package- With or without a confinement nanny, you need to get a confinement herbal package. The 28 days package should include red dates for making tea, confinement herbal birth, and prepackaged confinement soup. Thankfully, you can easily buy some of these packages from your local market.
So, there you have it, some of the confinement rules that you should be aware of in the first 40 days after giving birth. If you want to get back to your normal activities you need to rest adequately, eat a proper diet, and get help your loved ones. With proper planning and patience, you can heal faster than you thought. However, if you are not sure about what to do, consult an expert.